Big List of Unschooling and Natural Learning Books
Please email Beverley to add your favourite unschooling and natural learning books and eBooks to this list!
Reviews wanted! If you have read any of these books, can you spare a few minutes to write a brief (or lengthy!) review to share with others to give them idea about what the book has to offer them! Thank you.
- How Children Fail, John Holt
- How Children Learn, John Holt
- Learning in the Absence of Education, Beverley Paine
- Natural Learning (booklet), Beverley Paine
- Natural Learning Answers, Beverley Paine
- Free Range Learning, Laura Weldon
- Moving a Puddle, Sandra Dodd
- Natural Born Learners: Unschooling and Autonomy in Education, Beatrice Ekwa Ekoko
- And the Skylark Sings to Me: Adventures in Homeschooling and Community-Based Education, David H Albert
- How Children Learn at Home, Alan Thomas
- Guerilla Learning, Amy Silver and Grace Llewellyn
- The Unschooling Unmanual, Jan Hunt and Nanda Van Gestel
- Challenging Assumptions in Education, Wendy Priesnitz
- Free Range Education How Home Education Works, Terri Dowty
- The Unprocessed Child, Living Without School, Valerie Fitzenreiter
- Bound to be Free, Jan Fortune Wood
- Educating Children At Home, Alan Thomas
- Those Unschooled Minds, Julie Webb
- Doing it their way, Jan Fortune Wood
- Big Book of Unschooling, Sandra Dodd
- Radical Unschooling - a Revolution has Begun, Dayna Martin
- Fortune Wood, Jan. With Consent: parenting for all to win
- The Continuum Concept, Jean Leidloff
- Free to Learn: Five ideas for a joyful unschooling life, Pam Laricchia
- Real Lives: Eleven Teenagers Who Don't Go to School, Grace Llewellyn
- The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education, Grace Llewellyn
- Unconditional Parenting, Alfie Kohn,
- The Unschooled Mind, Howard Gardner.
- The Natural Child, Jan Hunt
- Instead of Education, John Holt
- Free to Live, by Pam Laricchia
- Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling, John Taylor Gatto
- Live Love Learn, Csilla Tottszer
- Homeschooling and the Voyage of Self-Discovery: A Journey of Original Seeking, David H Albert
- Homeschooling For Excellence, David and Micki Colfax
- Parenting a Free Child - an Unschooled Life, Rue Kream
- Beyond Schooling : Building Communities Where Learning Really Matters, Gatto, John Taylor & Hamza Yusuf Hanson.
- Unschooling, Sara McGrath
- The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World as Your Child's Classroom, Griffith, Mary
- The Day I Became an Autodidact: And the Advice, Adventures, and Acrimonies That Befell Me Thereafter, Hailey, Kendall
- Self University, Hayes, Charles D
- Deschooling Our Lives, Hern, Matt
- Magical Child, J Chilton Pearce
- Escape from Childhood; the needs and rights of children, John Holt
- Learning All the Time, John Holt
- Honey for a Child's Heart, Hunt, Gladys
- Deschooling Society, llich, Ivan
- Better than College, Blake Boles
- Trust the Children, Kealoha, Anna
- Free to Learn, Peter Gray
- Never Too Late, John Holt
- Weapons of Mass Instruction, John Taylor Gatto
- Gifted Education Comes Home: A Case for Self-Directed Homeschooling, Rivero, Lisa
- Unschooling Rules, Clark Aldridge
- Punished By Rewards, Alfie Kohn
- No Contest, Alfie Kohn
- I Learn Better by Teaching Myself, Leistico, Agnes.
- For the Children's Sake, Sheffer, Susannah
- A Life Worth Living : The Selected Letters of John Holt, Sheffer, Susannah.
- The Simplicity of Homeschooling: Discover the Freedom of Learning Through Living, Goodchild, Vicki and Goodchild, Jack.
- Summerhill, a New View of Childhood, AS Neill
- Leistico, Agnes. Still Teaching Ourselves
- McKee, Alison. Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves
- The Freethinker's Pocket Directory to the Educational Universe, Meighan, Roland
- Meighan, Roland John Holt, Meighan, Roland
- Meighan, Roland. Learning Unlimited, Meighan, Roland
- The Next Learning System, Meighan, Roland
- Theory and Practice of Regressive Education, Meighan, Roland
- Natural Learning and the Natural Learning Curriculum, Meighan, Roland
- Creating Learning Communities, Ron Miller (Ed)
- Unschooling Kelly, John McEwan
Was this article helpful? Was it worth $1.00 to you?
Your gift of $1 or more helps to keep this site operating
and reassurance to families
better outcomes for their children.
Together with the support of my family, my aim is to help parents educate their children in stress-free, nurturing environments. In addition to building and maintaing this website, I continue to create and manage local and national home educating networks, help to organise conferences and camps, as well as write for, edit and produce newsletters, resource directories and magazines. I am an active support of national, state, regional and local home education groups.
"You've been an inspiration to me, I love the way
you really listen to people." Vanessa
"Whenever I read your writing I always come away
with increased confidence in my ability to provide and
share a wonderful learning journey with my family!" Davina
"Your guidance, understanding, support and words of
wisdom changed our lives. We now offer support and
organise many homeschooling events for others." Lesley
"Thank you once again for your prompt and friendly service.
I am convinced that your books are going to add
quality and peace of mind to my journey of teaching my kids
at home! Just from studying your website, until almost
in the morning, I 've been encouraged!" Louisa
"Thank you for all your many,many reassuring words
over many, many years. You probably don't know exactly how
valuable you are to the Australian Home Education community.
I've been reading your stuff for maybe 8 years or more now.
And I'm very grateful." Gythaa
I am currently giving this site a much needed facelift!
If you experience difficultiess accessing any page can you
please email me the link? Thank you.
Welcome to the
World of Home Education
and Learning without School!
We began educating our three children in 1985, when our eldest was aged five years. In truth, we had helped them learn what they need to learn as they grew and explored and discovered this amazing world since the moment they were born. I am a passionate advocate of allowing children to learn unhindered by unnecessary stress and competition, meeting developmental needs in ways that suit their individual learning styles and preferences. Ours was a homeschooling, unschooling and natural learning family! There are hundreds of articles on this site to help you build confidence as a home educating family. I hope that your home educating adventure is as satisfying as ours was!
The information on this website is of
a general nature only and is not intended
as personal or professional advice.
This site merges and incorporates
'Homeschool Australia' and 'Unschool Australia'.
Advertise with The Educating Parent
Without revenue from advertising
educational suppliers and Google Ads
we could not continue to provide information
to home educators. Please support us by letting
our advertisers know
that you found them on
The Educating Parent. Thanks!