Quick Links to Geography Lesson Plans and Activities
[this list of links is available an information sheet that comes in the Practical Homeschooling: Geography booklet you can soon buy from Always Learning Books]
- Mapping a Garden to learn the basics of map making
- The Ancient World learn about the migration of people in ancient times
- Creating a Travel Brochure - Students create a travel brochure for visiting China. Includes a printable outine to help students plan their project. Easily adaptable for any country or state
- Postcards: Discover America Through Postcards Travel along with a husband and wife in their RV. Receive daily postcards via email or start your own homeschool postcard club!
- Secret Agents Understanding simple geographic tools; locations and characteristics of places and regions.
- Create a Country: Students apply geography skills to create a map of an imaginary country.
- Flat Stanley - its based on the book. You send off flat stanleys to schools or addresses around the US. They stay for a visit and return with a journal explaining the events of the stay-- the neat part is, these host states can include information, brochures, pictures...
- Global Economy: A Simple Activity
Encourage students to discover how we rely on our global neighbors by collecting data about where in the world the goods we use every day are produced.
- Comparing Countries
A graphic organizer helps students compare and contrast two neighboring countries.
- Memorable Maps
This "memorable maps" lesson provides students with a visual record of just how much they will learn about geography this year!
- Global Balloons learn about longitude and latitude
- Geography of Pizza (yrs 8-12) To describe a pattern of spatial organization, you must first break the pattern into its simplest components: points, lines, and areas. This lesson uses a local service business-pizza restaurants-to introduce these components to students.
- Continents and Oceans - A printable word search puzzle of the continents and oceans names
- Who Sliced this Pie - A lesson plan for a simulation activity that teaches students about the distribution of the Earths resources and population
- Earth at Night
Students use maps to identify the ten cities highlighted on an image of Earth at night as seen from space.
- License Plate Checklist More family fun while traveling -- bring along this pictorial checklist and see how many state's plates you spot!
- Culture Boxes: this activity will help you identify features of your own culture
- A Message in a Bottle create an imaginary tale of travel and adventure
- Our World - My Own Island - How are They Connected - A complete instructional unit with printable activities and assessment rubrics. Students participate in a simulation activity by designing an island, and learn basic geography skills
- Monkey Map As they invent a story and find a route to a stolen simian, students will go ape for this mapping activity!
- The Seven Continents learn the song - makes remembering the continents easy!
- Where In The World using the media to kickstart conversations about geography
- GeoPictionary - Directions for a pictionary type game with geographic places and terms to draw and identify
- Travel Brochure - Students create an itinerary and brochure of five different countries. A checklist for the project and related web links are provided
Was this article helpful? Was it worth $1.00 to you?
Your gift of $1 or more helps to keep this site operating
and reassurance to families
better outcomes for their children.
Beverley Paine with her children, and their home educated children, relaxing at home.
Together with the support of my family, my aim is to help parents educate their children in stress-free, nurturing environments. In addition to building and maintaing this website, I continue to create and manage local and national home educating networks, help to organise conferences and camps, as well as write for, edit and produce newsletters, resource directories and magazines. I am an active supporter of national, state, regional and local home education groups.
"You've been an inspiration to me, I love the way
you really listen to people." Vanessa
"Whenever I read your writing I always come away
with increased confidence in my ability to provide and
share a wonderful learning journey with my family!" Davina
"Your guidance, understanding, support and words of
wisdom changed our lives. We now offer support and
organise many homeschooling events for others." Lesley
"Thank you once again for your prompt and friendly service.
I am convinced that your books are going to add
quality and peace of mind to my journey of teaching my kids
at home! Just from studying your website, until almost
in the morning, I 've been encouraged!" Louisa
"Thank you for all your many,many reassuring words
over many, many years. You probably don't know exactly how
valuable you are to the Australian Home Education community.
I've been reading your stuff for maybe 8 years or more now.
And I'm very grateful." Gythaa
Welcome to the
World of Home Education and
Learning without School!
We began educating our children in 1985, when our eldest was five. In truth, we had helped them learn what they need to learn since they were born. I am a passionate advocate of allowing children to learn unhindered by unnecessary stress and competition, meeting developmental needs in ways that suit their individual learning styles and preferences. Ours was a homeschooling, unschooling and natural learning family! There are hundreds of articles on this site to help you build confidence as a home educating family. We hope that your home educating adventure is as satisfying as ours was! Beverley Paine
The information on this website is of
a general nature only and is not intended
as personal or professional advice.
This site merges and incorporates 'Homeschool Australia' and 'Unschool Australia'.
Advertise with The Educating Parent
||DIY Getting Started with Home Schooling Pack
Beverley Paine's best selling comprehensive common sense manual detailing how to write your own curriculum tailored to your children's educational needs
PLUS 9 of Beverley's popular practical home educating series booklets!
Great value $60
and Unschooling Pack
Each Pack contains a copy of the following:
Natural Learning Answers
A5 or A4
Learning Naturally Diary
Learning Maths Naturally
A Sample Approved Natural Learning Program and Review
Only $29 or $33
Home education is a legal alternative
to school education in Australia.
State and Territory governments are responsible
for regulating home education and have different
requirements, however home educating families
are able to develop curriculum and learning programs
to suit the individual needs of their children.
Without revenue from advertising
by educational suppliers and Google Ads
we could not continue to provide information
to home educators. Please support us by letting
our advertisers know that you found them on
The Educating Parent. Thanks!