Welcome to the World of Home Education and Learning Without School!
We began educating our three children in 1985, when our eldest was aged five years. In truth, we had helped them learn what they need to learn as they grew and explored and discovered this amazing world since the moment they were born. I am a passionate advocate of allowing children to learn unhindered by unnecessary stress and competition, meeting developmental needs in ways that suit their individual learning styles and preferences. Ours was a homeschooling, unschooling and natural learning family! There are hundreds of articles on this site to help you build confidence as a home educating family. I hope that your home educating adventure is as satisfying as ours was!
Primary School Mathematics Checklist - Space
Although this list is presented in relative order, remember that there will be considerable overlap and your child won't necessarily learn these skils in the order below.
Regions and Boundaries
- Inside and outside
- Open and closed
- Plane and curved surfaces enclosing space
- In, out, high, low, up, down, under, over, above, below, on, off, top, bottom, inside, outside, between, before, after, in front, behind, near, far, large, small, on, by, smaller, smallest, larger. largest, as small as, as large as.
- Concept of angles, right angles
- Set square
- Identify and draw acute, obtuse, reflex, straight angles
- Drawing compass
- Pattern making
- Copy length, bisect lines
- Perpendicular bisector
- Construct congruent angles
- Construct polygons within circles
- Measure angles with protractor
- Construct angles
- Construct circles within polygons
- Magnetic compass
- Properties of cubes, spheres, cones, cylinders, pyramids
- Properties of other solids
- Relationship between faces, edges and vertices
- Discrimination of similar and congruent solids
- In body, nature and shape
- In plane figures
- Sort, recognise, name the nine shapes
- Properties of the nine shapes
- Symmetry in regular and irregular polygons
- Congruence - lines, plane shapes, solids
- Congruent triangles
- Construct triangles using set square
- Parallel lines
- Construct quadrilateral and congruent quadrilaterals
- Similarity of everyday plane shapes and solids
- Construct similar polygons
- Properties of a circle
- Discrimination of similar and congruent plane shapes
- Properties of polygons
- Construct squares and rectangles
- Identify, name and construct triangles
- Sum of interior angles of triangles
- Curved and straight
- Draw straight lines
- Connect points
- Vertical, horizontal, oblique lines, recognise and draw
- Intersecting lines
- Draw specific lengths
- Diagonals of polygons
- Parallel lines
- Perpendicular lines - recognise, name and construct
- Spatial terms - point, line, segment and ray
This checklist is taken from Chapter 9 Checklists in Getting Started with Hoemschooling Practical Considerations by Beverley Paine, available from Always Learning Books.
Was this article helpful? Was it worth $1.00 to you?
Your gift of $1 or more helps to keep this site operating
and reassurance to families
better outcomes for their children.
Together with the support of my family, my aim is to help parents educate their children in stress-free, nurturing environments. In addition to building and maintaing this website, I continue to create and manage local and national home educating networks, help to organise conferences and camps, as well as write for, edit and produce newsletters, resource directories and magazines. I am an active support of national, state, regional and local home education groups.
"You've been an inspiration to me, I love the way
you really listen to people." Vanessa
"Whenever I read your writing I always come away
with increased confidence in my ability to provide and
share a wonderful learning journey with my family!" Davina
"Your guidance, understanding, support and words of
wisdom changed our lives. We now offer support and
organise many homeschooling events for others." Lesley
"Thank you once again for your prompt and friendly service.
I am convinced that your books are going to add
quality and peace of mind to my journey of teaching my kids
at home! Just from studying your website, until almost
in the morning, I 've been encouraged!" Louisa
"Thank you for all your many,many reassuring words
over many, many years. You probably don't know exactly how
valuable you are to the Australian Home Education community.
I've been reading your stuff for maybe 8 years or more now.
And I'm very grateful." Gythaa
A gift of any size, small or large, is greatly appreciated.
By contributing, even as little as $1, you are helping to inform, encourage, reassure and support parents live closer, happier lives with their children.
I am currently giving this site a much needed facelift!
If you experience difficultiess accessing any page can you
please email me the link? Thank you.
The information on this website is of
a general nature only and is not intended
as personal or professional advice.
This site merges and incorporates
'Homeschool Australia' and 'Unschool Australia'.
Advertise with The Educating Parent
Without revenue from advertising
educational suppliers and Google Ads
we could not continue to provide information
to home educators. Please support us by letting
our advertisers know
that you found them on
The Educating Parent. Thanks!