History and Cultural Studies Online Self-Education
Anyone can learn anything they want or need to with the amazing amount of courses and information available online. The following list is mainly sourced from USA and the UK and was inspired by a blog by Marc and Angel Hack Life. See also links to science resources and providers. See also Open Learning Links.
- University of Washington's OpenUW - Explore a variety of learning in several free history-centric online courses from the University of Washington.
- Notre Dame OpenCourseWare - Notre Dame OCW is a free and open educational resource for faculty, students, and self-learners throughout the world.
- Bio's Best - Biography.com's most popular biographies on notable historical figures.
- UC Irvine OpenCourseWare (Social Science) - Rapidly with the addition of nearly 10 new courses every month. Many of our OCW offerings are directed at working adults seeking continuing education, with the option to enroll in instructor-led, for-credit courses, related to the OCW content.
- Boston College Front Row (History) - Boston College Front Row is a Web site that offers free access through streaming media to tapes of cultural and scholarly events at Boston College.
- MIT OpenCourseWare (History) - The MIT History Faculty offers about 70 subjects in the areas of Ancient, North American, European, East Asian, and Middle Eastern history.
- Wikiversity School of Social Sciences - Wikiversity is a Wikimedia Foundation project devoted to learning resources, learning projects, and research for use in all levels, types, and styles of education from pre-school to university, including professional training and informal learning.
- OpenLearn (Arts and Humanities) - The OpenLearn website gives free access to Open University course materials.
- A Biography of America - A Biography of America presents history not simply as a series of irrefutable facts to be memorized, but as a living narrative of America's story.
- Have Fun with History - A resource for students, educators and all lovers of American History.
- The USGenWeb Project - Free genealogy and family history resources online.
- MacroHistory and World Report - Tell without illusions or ideological restraints the story of our ancestors, our parents and us.
- World History HyperHistory - Navigates through 3000 years of World History with links to important persons and events of world historical importance.
- American Digital History - Online American history textbook. An interactive, multimedia history of the United States from the Revolution to the present.
Was this article helpful? Was it worth $1.00 to you?
Your gift of $1 or more helps to keep this site operating
and reassurance to families
better outcomes for their children.
Together with the support of my family, my aim is to help parents educate their children in stress-free, nurturing environments. In addition to building and maintaing this website, I continue to create and manage local and national home educating networks, help to organise conferences and camps, as well as write for, edit and produce newsletters, resource directories and magazines. I am an active support of national, state, regional and local home education groups.
"You've been an inspiration to me, I love the way
you really listen to people." Vanessa
"Whenever I read your writing I always come away
with increased confidence in my ability to provide and
share a wonderful learning journey with my family!" Davina
"Your guidance, understanding, support and words of
wisdom changed our lives. We now offer support and
organise many homeschooling events for others." Lesley
"Thank you once again for your prompt and friendly service.
I am convinced that your books are going to add
quality and peace of mind to my journey of teaching my kids
at home! Just from studying your website, until almost
in the morning, I 've been encouraged!" Louisa
"Thank you for all your many,many reassuring words
over many, many years. You probably don't know exactly how
valuable you are to the Australian Home Education community.
I've been reading your stuff for maybe 8 years or more now.
And I'm very grateful." Gythaa
I am currently giving this site a much needed facelift!
If you experience difficultiess accessing any page can you
please email me the link? Thank you.
Welcome to the
World of Home Education and
Learning without School!
We began educating our children in 1985, when our eldest was five. In truth, we had helped them learn what they need to learn since they were born. I am a passionate advocate of allowing children to learn unhindered by unnecessary stress and competition, meeting developmental needs in ways that suit their individual learning styles and preferences. Ours was a homeschooling, unschooling and natural learning family! There are hundreds of articles on this site to help you build confidence as a home educating family. We hope that your home educating adventure is as satisfying as ours was! Beverley Paine
The information on this website is of
a general nature only and is not intended
as personal or professional advice.
This site merges and incorporates 'Homeschool Australia' and 'Unschool Australia'.
Advertise with The Educating Parent
||DIY Getting Started with Home Schooling Pack
Beverley Paine's best selling comprehensive common sense manual detailing how to write your own curriculum tailored to your children's educational needs
PLUS 9 of Beverley's popular practical home educating series booklets!
Great value $60
and Unschooling Pack
Each Pack contains a copy of the following:
Natural Learning Answers
A5 or A4
Learning Naturally Diary
Learning Maths Naturally
A Sample Approved Natural Learning Program and Review
Only $29 or $33
Home education is a legal alternative
school education in Australia.
State and Territory governments are responsible
for regulating home education and have different
requirements, however home educating families
are able to develop curriculum and learning programs
to suit the individual needs of their children.
Without revenue from advertising
educational suppliers and Google Ads
we could not continue to provide information
to home educators. Please support us by letting
our advertisers know
that you found them on
The Educating Parent. Thanks!