The Benefits of Home Education for Parents
© Beverley Paine
Most lists of homeschooling benefits focus on the outcomes for the children. The following is a list of personal benefits I've derived from homeschooling my three children over the last sixteen years.
- Catching up on missed learning, or re-learning things, from my own schooling days.
- Continually broadening my own knowledge base.
- Becoming more organised.
- Becoming more flexible and open to change.
- Learning to deal with problems straight away - giving up the procrastination habit.
- Learning how to ask useful questions.
- Learning how to research effectively.
- Sharing in the excitement of the development of a growing mind.
- Developing a close intellectual bond with my children.
- Developing a strong emotional bond with my children.
- Watching my children develop personal values congruent with my own, but with strong and confident self esteems based on individual and unique temperaments so that they are able to develop their own personal values as well.
- Being able to confidently and comfortably discuss difficult issues with my children.
- Being trusted by my children as someone they can confide in.
- Enjoying a close family bond, based on cooperation and compromise and love.
- Finding my own unique learning style, whilst helping my children find theirs.
- Realising that there are many ways to learn, not just from school or text books!
- Discovering the value of experiential learning.
- Realising that learning happens all the time, and can happen at any time of the day, not just 9-3!
- Understanding that learning is a lifelong pursuit - that I am an active learner as well as my children.
- Discovering that asking questions is often more important than finding answers, and valuing the role of imagination in the creative and problem solving processes.
- Having the opportunity and ability to pursue areas of interest to me - academic, interest and hobby - and to include my children in my enthusiasm.
- Learning how to use and access a wide range of learning media - computers, television, videos, libraries, community institutions, people, materials, etc.
- Discovering I am not indispensable - allowing myself to let others tutor my children and learning how to recognise quality and safe tutors for my children.
- Discovering the educational value of play and creativity, and incorporating more of it into my own life!
- Learning the basic rule of education - 'Don't say no - have a go!'
- Learning the value of in-depth, interest led studies - choosing the content and methodology for each educational activity rather than having to follow a rigid curriculum.
- Being valued as a parent - experiencing increased self esteem and self worth.
- Knowing that my children are growing up protected from toxic chemicals and toxic schools.
- Enjoying exposure to a wide range of activities when supporting my children's interests and learning I may not otherwise have ever been interested in.
- Having quality friends - being part of a great group of like- minded, child-friendly parents interested in education.
- Learning a lot about education, how learning happens, understanding the process of learning.
- Learning that having fun and enjoying myself is okay...
This page has been translated into German for the Leben ohne Schule website: www.leben-ohne-schule.de/ beverley.paine/profitieren.html
Other related articles and links:
Are they any disadvantages to homeschooling? Read some comments by several homeschooling mothers.
Beverley Paine is a mother of three young adults and a prolific writer of homeschooling articles. More articles and essays can be found in her books, available from the Always Learning Books online bookstore.
Was this article helpful? Was it worth $1.00 to you?
Your gift of $1 or more helps to keep this site operating
and reassurance to families
better outcomes for their children.
Beverley Paine with her children, and their home educated children, relaxing at home.
Together with the support of my family, my aim is to help parents educate their children in stress-free, nurturing environments. In addition to building and maintaing this website, I continue to create and manage local and national home educating networks, help to organise conferences and camps, as well as write for, edit and produce newsletters, resource directories and magazines. I am an active supporter of national, state, regional and local home education groups.
"You've been an inspiration to me, I love the way
you really listen to people." Vanessa
"Whenever I read your writing I always come away
with increased confidence in my ability to provide and
share a wonderful learning journey with my family!" Davina
"Your guidance, understanding, support and words of
wisdom changed our lives. We now offer support and
organise many homeschooling events for others." Lesley
"Thank you once again for your prompt and friendly service.
I am convinced that your books are going to add
quality and peace of mind to my journey of teaching my kids
at home! Just from studying your website, until almost
in the morning, I 've been encouraged!" Louisa
"Thank you for all your many,many reassuring words
over many, many years. You probably don't know exactly how
valuable you are to the Australian Home Education community.
I've been reading your stuff for maybe 8 years or more now.
And I'm very grateful." Gythaa
Want to learn how to write your own education plans to suit
your unique children's
individual learning needs?
Looking for quality curriculum and teaching tips ?
Over 1000 reassuring and
informative articles to help
build your confidence as an Educating Parent
Welcome to the
World of Home Education and
Learning without School!
We began educating our children in 1985, when our eldest was five. In truth, we had helped them learn what they need to learn since they were born. I am a passionate advocate of allowing children to learn unhindered by unnecessary stress and competition, meeting developmental needs in ways that suit their individual learning styles and preferences. Ours was a homeschooling, unschooling and natural learning family! There are hundreds of articles on this site to help you build confidence as a home educating family. We hope that your home educating adventure is as satisfying as ours was! Beverley Paine
The information on this website is of
a general nature only and is not intended
as personal or professional advice.
This site merges and incorporates 'Homeschool Australia' and 'Unschool Australia'.
"Your guidance, understanding, support & words of wisdom changed our lives." Leslie
"I feel specially inspired by Beverley's words and, the more I read her comments, the more inspired I feel, since
my need for support, respect for different parenting styles, and information are fully met." Marijo
Advertise with The Educating Parent
||DIY Getting Started with Home Schooling Pack
Beverley Paine's best selling comprehensive common sense manual detailing how to write your own curriculum tailored to your children's educational needs
PLUS 9 of Beverley's popular practical home educating series booklets!
Great value $60
and Unschooling Pack
Each Pack contains a copy of the following:
Natural Learning Answers
A5 or A4
Learning Naturally Diary
Learning Maths Naturally
A Sample Approved Natural Learning Program and Review
Only $29 or $33
Home education is a legal alternative
to school education in Australia.
State and Territory governments are responsible
for regulating home education and have different
requirements, however home educating families
are able to develop curriculum and learning programs
to suit the individual needs of their children.
Without revenue from advertising
by educational suppliers and Google Ads
we could not continue to provide information
to home educators. Please support us by letting
our advertisers know that you found them on
The Educating Parent. Thanks!