Just for Fun
You know when you're a homeschooling parent when....
- You get to change more than nappies, you get to change their minds.
- When a child busts a lip, and after seeing she's okay, you round up some scotch tape to capture some blood and look at it under the microscope!
- You find dead animals and actually consider saving them to dissect later.
- Your children never ever leave the "why?" stage.
- You ask for, and get, a copier instead of a diamond bracelet for your wedding anniversary.
- Your kids think reading history is best accomplished while lying on the floor with their head resting on the side of their patient dog.
- Your husband can walk in at the end of a long day and tell how the science experiment went just by looking at the house.
- You never have to drive your child's forgotten lunch to school.
- Your child will never suffer the embarrassment of group showers after PE.
- The only debate about the school lunch program is whose turn it is to cook.
- You never have to face the dilemna of whether to take your child's side or the teacher's side in a dispute at school.
- If your child get's drugs at school, it's probably Panadol.
- Your neighbours think you are insane.
- Your kids learn new vocabulary from their extensive collection of "Calvin & Hobbes" books.
- Your formal dining room now has a computer, copy machine, and many book shelves and there are educational posters and maps all over the walls.
- You have meal worms growing in a container....on purpose.
- If you get caught talking to yourself, you can claim you're having a Parents and Teachers meeting.
- Talking out loud to yourself is a parent/teacher conference.
- You take off for a teacher in-service day because the principal needs clean underwear.
- You can't make it through a movie without pointing out the historical inaccuracies.
- You step on math manipulatives on your pre-dawn stumble to the bathroom.
- The teacher gets to kiss the principal in the faculty lounge and no one gossips.
- Your honour student can actually read the bumper sticker that you have put on your car.
- If your child claims that the dog ate his homework, you can ask the dog.
- Some day your children will consider you to be a miracle-working expert and will turn to you for advice.
- Your kids refer to the neighbour kids as "government school inmates."
- You can't make it through the grocery produce department without asking your preschooler the name and colour of every vegetable.
- You can't put your produce in your cart without asking your older student to estimate it's weight and verify accuracy.
- You live in a one-house schoolroom.
Was this article helpful? Was it worth $1.00 to you?
Your gift of $1 or more helps to keep this site operating
and reassurance to families
better outcomes for their children.
Beverley Paine with her children, and their home educated children, relaxing at home.
Together with the support of my family, my aim is to help parents educate their children in stress-free, nurturing environments. In addition to building and maintaing this website, I continue to create and manage local and national home educating networks, help to organise conferences and camps, as well as write for, edit and produce newsletters, resource directories and magazines. I am an active supporter of national, state, regional and local home education groups.
"You've been an inspiration to me, I love the way
you really listen to people." Vanessa
"Whenever I read your writing I always come away
with increased confidence in my ability to provide and
share a wonderful learning journey with my family!" Davina
"Your guidance, understanding, support and words of
wisdom changed our lives. We now offer support and
organise many homeschooling events for others." Lesley
"Thank you once again for your prompt and friendly service.
I am convinced that your books are going to add
quality and peace of mind to my journey of teaching my kids
at home! Just from studying your website, until almost
in the morning, I 've been encouraged!" Louisa
"Thank you for all your many,many reassuring words
over many, many years. You probably don't know exactly how
valuable you are to the Australian Home Education community.
I've been reading your stuff for maybe 8 years or more now.
And I'm very grateful." Gythaa
Want to learn how to write your own education plans to suit
your unique children's
individual learning needs?
Looking for quality curriculum and teaching tips ?
Over 1000 reassuring and
informative articles to help
build your confidence as an Educating Parent
You are invited to join Home Education Australia!
One well-organised space to find and share information,
resources links and
more to support all home educators
across Australia, including a directory of posts and threads , where you
can source all your needs related to home education and
find what others are seeking and finding within Australia.
Welcome to the World of Home Education
and Learning without School!
We began educating our children in 1985, when our eldest was five. In truth, we had helped them learn what they need to learn since they were born. I am a passionate advocate of allowing children to learn unhindered by unnecessary stress and competition, meeting developmental needs in ways that suit their individual learning styles and preferences. Ours was a homeschooling, unschooling and natural learning family! There are hundreds of articles on this site to help you build confidence as a home educating family. We hope that your home educating adventure is as satisfying as ours was! Beverley Paine
The information on this website is of a general nature only and is not intended as personal or professional advice. This site merges and incorporates 'Homeschool Australia' and 'Unschool Australia'.
"Your guidance, understanding, support & words of wisdom changed our lives." Leslie
"I feel specially inspired by Beverley's words and, the more I read her comments, the more inspired I feel, since
my need for support, respect for different parenting styles, and information are fully met." Marijo
and Unschooling Pack
Each Pack contains a copy of the following:
Natural Learning Answers
A5 or A4
Learning Naturally Diary
Learning Maths Naturally
A Sample Approved Natural Learning Program and Review
Only $29 or $33
Home education is a legal alternative
to school education in Australia.
State and Territory governments are responsible
for regulating home education and have different
requirements, however home educating families
are able to develop curriculum and learning programs
to suit the individual needs of their children.
Without revenue from advertising
by educational suppliers and Google Ads
we could not continue to provide information
to home educators. Please support us by letting
our advertisers know that you found them on
The Educating Parent. Thanks!