Choosing the Curriculum That's Right for You!
Linda Maher, Exploring Approaches to Home Education Seminar, Adelaide 2008
Some of the more common homeschooling methods are:
- Pre-packaged Curricula
- Classical Education
- Charlotte Mason
- Unit Studies
- Natural Learning
- The Eclectic Homeschool
Determining Your Style
- Why are you homeschooling?
- What content knowledge, skills, and/or relationships should you cultivate in your children?
- What do you want your children to learn?
- What skills will they need to be ready to be on their own?
- Understand the differences in worldviews
To help decide on which methods to employ, it is helpful to consider:
- Your preferred teaching style
- Your children's learning styles
- Religious Beliefs
- Number of Children (texts, workbooks, etc.)
- Time available
- Cost / Budget
- Support Groups
Points to Remember:
- What works for you may not work for another homeschool mum
- If it's working, stick with it!
- Different children may require different approaches
- If it is not working, either keep it for future use with another child, or make use of the 2 nd -hand resources board, and sell it!
Curriculum is more than just Academics
- Good curriculum should also teach life skills and character-building
- Remember, your curriculum is your TOOL to help accomplish your homeschooling goals; you are in charge - never let the curriculum 'rule' you.
Trust in your choices
- Trust in your choices - you know your child better than anyone
- Talk to others - ask questions - read, read, read
- Remember - everyone is different, everyone, authors included, has their own opinion on how things 'should' be done.
- No right way or wrong way to homeschool.
- Many great products out there - respect them, but accept that some simply do not work with your family.
- While browsing, write things down - decide later if need be .
Before you purchase a resource, ask yourself:
- Does it suit my homeschool philosophy?
- Is this resource going to be time-consuming?
- Is it within my budget?
- How much structure does it offer (and does that suit me)?
- Does it comply with my values and religious beliefs?
- Is the resource a good "fit" for my child's learning style?
Homeschooling is a journey - we all learn as we go
Homeschooling is Diverse.
- Research the various methods and Learning Styles
- Take an in-depth look at those that interest you.
- Then, look at resources that fit within your educational philosophy
- Make a Plan - Set Your Goals
- Purchase a few selections
- Begin - and have fun!
The choice is YOURS!
Was this article helpful? Was it worth $1.00 to you?
Your gift of $1 or more helps to keep this site operating
and reassurance to families
better outcomes for their children.
Beverley Paine with her children, and their home educated children, relaxing at home.
Together with the support of my family, my aim is to help parents educate their children in stress-free, nurturing environments. In addition to building and maintaing this website, I continue to create and manage local and national home educating networks, help to organise conferences and camps, as well as write for, edit and produce newsletters, resource directories and magazines. I am an active supporter of national, state, regional and local home education groups.
"You've been an inspiration to me, I love the way
you really listen to people." Vanessa
"Whenever I read your writing I always come away
with increased confidence in my ability to provide and
share a wonderful learning journey with my family!" Davina
"Your guidance, understanding, support and words of
wisdom changed our lives. We now offer support and
organise many homeschooling events for others." Lesley
"Thank you once again for your prompt and friendly service.
I am convinced that your books are going to add
quality and peace of mind to my journey of teaching my kids
at home! Just from studying your website, until almost
in the morning, I 've been encouraged!" Louisa
"Thank you for all your many,many reassuring words
over many, many years. You probably don't know exactly how
valuable you are to the Australian Home Education community.
I've been reading your stuff for maybe 8 years or more now.
And I'm very grateful." Gythaa
Want to learn how to write your own education plans to suit
your unique children's
individual learning needs?
Looking for quality curriculum and teaching tips ?
Over 1000 reassuring and
informative articles to help
build your confidence as an Educating Parent
You are invited to join Home Education Australia!
One well-organised space to find and share information,
resources links and
more to support all home educators
across Australia, including a directory of posts and threads , where you
can source all your needs related to home education and
find what others are seeking and finding within Australia.
Welcome to the World of Home Education
and Learning without School!
We began educating our children in 1985, when our eldest was five. In truth, we had helped them learn what they need to learn since they were born. I am a passionate advocate of allowing children to learn unhindered by unnecessary stress and competition, meeting developmental needs in ways that suit their individual learning styles and preferences. Ours was a homeschooling, unschooling and natural learning family! There are hundreds of articles on this site to help you build confidence as a home educating family. We hope that your home educating adventure is as satisfying as ours was! Beverley Paine
The information on this website is of a general nature only and is not intended as personal or professional advice. This site merges and incorporates 'Homeschool Australia' and 'Unschool Australia'.
The Educating Parent acknowledges the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Owners, the Custodians of Australia, and pay our respects to Elders past and present and extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people viewing this website.
"Your guidance, understanding, support & words of wisdom changed our lives." Leslie
"I feel specially inspired by Beverley's words and, the more I read her comments, the more inspired I feel, since
my need for support, respect for different parenting styles, and information are fully met." Marijo
and Unschooling Pack
Each Pack contains a copy of the following:
Natural Learning Answers
A5 or A4
Learning Naturally Diary
Learning Maths Naturally
A Sample Approved Natural Learning Program and Review
Only $29 or $33
Home education is a legal alternative
to school education in Australia.
State and Territory governments are responsible
for regulating home education and have different
requirements, however home educating families
are able to develop curriculum and learning programs
to suit the individual needs of their children.
Without revenue from advertising
by educational suppliers and Google Ads
we could not continue to provide information
to home educators. Please support us by letting
our advertisers know that you found them on
The Educating Parent. Thanks!