Return to Contents for a list of all the categories of articles on this site
Beverley writes about her experiences helping her children learn, sharing her insights about how they learned to read, write, calculate, problem solve and the different ways they explored their world. Beverley has added links to favourite websites that also help to demystify teaching and make it easy for home educating parents to plan and implement learning activities.
Examples of home education learning plans, applications and reviews.
Aticles are listed under a category heading. Click on the category to see full list of articles relating to that area.
The Educating Parent Resource Directory contains an extensive list of educational suppliers, tutors and resources in this curriculum area.
Listening and Speaking
- Reading Resources / Suppliers
- 100 Most Commonly Used Words
- Add a Little Drama to Your Life
- Adolescent Literacy and Homeschooling
- A Shrinking World - A World Full of Words
- Australian Films Suitable for Australian History, English, Media Studies and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Studies
- Authors of Children's Books - A Reading List
- Be a Reader Yourself
- Books on the Go
- Books Make Wonderful Gifts
- Build Your Own Home Library
- Jaiden Learns to Read Naturally, by Cameron Dubin
- Can Children Learn to Read Without Being Taught How?
- Children Need to Be Part of a Community of Readers
- Convalesce with Books
- Daily Newspaper and Junk Mail - Cheap Reading Material
- Encourage Your Children to Read to Each Other
- Everyone is a Reader
- Old Books, Old Treasures, Loved Anew
- Feel of a Book
- Finding Time for Reading
- Five In A Row - Guided Literature Based Unit Studies
- Free Online Libraries Extend Learning
- Get Ready, Get Set... Go Reading!
- Gift of Dyslexia
- Helping Children with Learning Difficulties Learn To Read
- Hooked on Reading Series
- How to Find Suitable Books for Your Children to Read
- How do you teach someone who is dyslexic to read independently?
- Irlen Syndrome (Scotopic Sensitivity)
- Is Thomas Reading Yet?
- I Write; Therefore I Read!
- Jump-start reading tips for reluctant readers
- Learning to Love Reading
- Learning to Read Using Sight Words
- One More Really Big Reason to Read Stories to Children, Peter Gray
- Reading Aloud = Free Entertainment!
- Readling Aloud with Joy, a few tips
- Reading Costs Nothing
- Reading Skills Checklist
- Reading Isn't a Passive Activity
- Reading for Life: In the Kitchen
- Reading for Life: Let's Go Shopping!
- Reading for Life: The Lost Arts of Making and Mending
- Reading Strategies for Non-fiction Texts
- 'Read' the World: the beginning of reading comprehension
- Reading Through Tears, Byron Harrison
- Seasonal Stories, Holiday Themes and Unit-Studies as a Springboard for Reading
- Seriously Questioning the Importance of Reading
- Shared Oral Reading
- Should I Let Children Learn to Read at Their Own Pace?
- Speed Reading: Do I Want to Read at 500 words per minute?
- Subscriptions That Pay Back
- Tell Me Again! The Role of Narration
- Using Free Resources Created by Authors, Emily Rose
- Using Flashcards
- Using Movies and Books for Comparative Studies
- Using Poetry: Mary had a little lamb. where art thou, Romeo?
- Valuing the Classics
- We're All Active Readers
- What is all the Fuss about Reading (Fiction) Anyway!
- Worrying about late readers
- Writing Before Reading
- 'Your Baby Can Read'
- Your Libary is a Source to Hours of Free Entertainment
Was this article helpful? Was it worth $1.00 to you?
Your gift of $1 or more helps to keep this site operating
and reassurance to families
better outcomes for their children.
Beverley Paine with her children, and their home educated children, relaxing at home.
Together with the support of my family, my aim is to help parents educate their children in stress-free, nurturing environments. In addition to building and maintaing this website, I continue to create and manage local and national home educating networks, help to organise conferences and camps, as well as write for, edit and produce newsletters, resource directories and magazines. I am an active supporter of national, state, regional and local home education groups.
"You've been an inspiration to me, I love the way
you really listen to people." Vanessa
"Whenever I read your writing I always come away
with increased confidence in my ability to provide and
share a wonderful learning journey with my family!" Davina
"Your guidance, understanding, support and words of
wisdom changed our lives. We now offer support and
organise many homeschooling events for others." Lesley
"Thank you once again for your prompt and friendly service.
I am convinced that your books are going to add
quality and peace of mind to my journey of teaching my kids
at home! Just from studying your website, until almost
in the morning, I 've been encouraged!" Louisa
"Thank you for all your many,many reassuring words
over many, many years. You probably don't know exactly how
valuable you are to the Australian Home Education community.
I've been reading your stuff for maybe 8 years or more now.
And I'm very grateful." Gythaa
Want to learn how to write your own education plans to suit
your unique children's
individual learning needs?
Looking for quality curriculum and teaching tips ?
Over 1000 reassuring and
informative articles to help
build your confidence as an Educating Parent
Welcome to the World of Home Education
and Learning without School!
We began educating our children in 1985, when our eldest was five. In truth, we had helped them learn what they need to learn since they were born. I am a passionate advocate of allowing children to learn unhindered by unnecessary stress and competition, meeting developmental needs in ways that suit their individual learning styles and preferences. Ours was a homeschooling, unschooling and natural learning family! There are hundreds of articles on this site to help you build confidence as a home educating family. We hope that your home educating adventure is as satisfying as ours was! Beverley Paine
3 ESSENTIAL STEP BY STEP GUIDES
Let experienced home educators Beverley, Tamara and April walk you through HOW to create a learning plan that builds on solid foundations that works for YOUR family AND ticks all the boxes for home educaton registration!
"Your guidance, understanding, support & words of wisdom changed our lives." Leslie
"I feel specially inspired by Beverley's words and, the more I read her comments, the more inspired I feel, since
my need for support, respect for different parenting styles, and information are fully met." Marijo
The information on this website is of a general nature only and is not intended as personal or professional advice. This site merges and incorporates 'Homeschool Australia' and 'Unschool Australia'.
The Educating Parent acknowledges the Traditional Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Owners, the Custodians of Australia, and pay our respects to Elders past and present and extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people viewing this website.
Home education is a legal alternative
to school education in Australia.
State and Territory governments are responsible
for regulating home education and have different
requirements, however home educating families
are able to develop curriculum and learning programs
to suit the individual needs of their children.
Without revenue from advertising
by educational suppliers and Google Ads
we could not continue to provide information
to home educators. Please support us by letting
our advertisers know that you found them on
The Educating Parent. Thanks!